Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Today I shadowed a Home Hospice nurse from Midwest Palliative and Hospice Care. We visited a woman in her 80s who had had two liver transplants, and was probably going to die very soon. She had so much fluid in her lungs that she sounded like a percolating coffee pot. The family made the difficult decision for her to go back to the inpatient unit where she would receive better care. Her daughter is a nurse, so she understood just how bad it can get in the end for someone with her condition.

Then we visited a man with malignant tumors all over his body, and a large bedsore on his sacrum. The nurse treated the wound, and discussed pain management with the man and his wife. Even though he was in pain and very sick, he was charming and funny. As we were leaving, his wife told us that she wished we could know him as he used to be, because we would have really liked him.

It was a great experience, but I think I'm too much of a baby to be a hospice nurse.

1 comment:

Lacy said...

Both stories - but especially the second - really remind me of my grandfather, who meant the world to me. He truly was an amazing guy... who fell off the top of a windmill when he was 72 (eek.Enter hospice). His hospice nurses all ADORED him, and I always wondered how they were able to withstand being so open and loving when times got so rough and dark.

Anyway. I don't have to tell you, he knew all their names, and my whole family is still immensely grateful for their attention and kindness. Good luck whatever route you go.