Saturday, January 24, 2009

Last night on my way home from the hospital, I got on the last car of the Pink Line at Polk. As I was walking down the train car, a college kid came running up to me in a panic and said, "I just got robbed. They had a gun." As the doors closed and the train started pulling away, he pointed out the two guys on the platform. I called 911, then hit the button to contact the train operator. The train stopped at Ashland, and I stayed with him while he waited for the police. I told him he was lucky, and he did the right thing by handing over his iPhone, cash, and debit cards. The police showed up, and he started crying as what happened hit him. We parted ways, and I got back on a train.

Luckily, I have never been the victim of a crime greater than a hit and run, and in general, I feel safe. I think I am sufficiently vigilant, and try not to put myself in precarious situations. Last night is a reminder that bad things happen quickly, and to make sure never to get caught alone on my midnight commute back to Rogers Park. And to buy a machete.

No comments: