Wednesday, March 12, 2008

First day in scrubs. I think I'll always look like a dork in this uniform. Hopefully I won't always feel like a dork.

We are in the hospital on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for the rest of the semester. We are working with a partner for the first couple weeks, then by ourselves with a single patient.

I will obviously not be able to take many pictures in the hospital because of patient confidentiality rights. And I'm not even sure what I can talk about in the blog. I know it's not like I'm a subcontractor for the DOD building a top secret submarine, but I'm really tentative about posting details about patients, even while maintaining their anonymity. I need to figure out what I can and cannot write, or even what I feel comfortable writing.

For today, I'm just going to list tasks that I performed:
-took vital signs
-cleaned up sputum from a trach tube
-moved patient to cardiac chair
-performed a physical assessment
-monitored patient's oxygen levels and adjusted oxygen flow
-assisted RN with urinary catheterization and urine samples

Our patient was not getting enough oxygen, and was running a fever, so some normal care responsibilities such as bathing and oral care were lower priorities.
Time flew by, and in the end, I didn't feel like I did that much, and that I was kind of useless. But I learned a ton, and now get to look forward to the less intimidating second day.

4 comments:

Kristie said...

I thought you looked great in your scrubs . . . I actually thought of commenting to you that you really looked like a real nurse already!!!

Proxy said...

Congrats and good luck...

enjoy the first time an addict tricks you into giving them drugs. Always fun for a noob.

Hank said...

You actually look great, Meador. Solid and dependable. You're going to be awesome at this.

Anonymous said...

Is that Greg Focker?