Sunday, September 28, 2008

My cousin Kevin tries to get me to at least one Bears game every year. He is a wonderful man. We tailgated today by the lake, then watched the Bears beat the Eagles in one of the better games I have seen in the last couple years.

I love going to sporting events, but they really make me hate people. I understand rivalry and competition, but I don't think this is ever an excuse to be a total asshole to another human being. Why can't it be enough to go and cheer for your team? Why is it necessary to say horrible, hateful things to opposing fans? I watched a guy walk down the stairs, turn around, and call a family of Eagles fans f-ing douchebags. Out of nowhere, unprovoked except for the fact that they were wearing green jerseys. I turned around and apologized to them because I was truly disgusted. And granted, Philadelphia fans have a reputation for being obnoxious and unrelenting, but it's not okay to call a little kid a douchebag. It's sort of a mob mentality thing, "I have thousands of other people here wearing the same colors as me, so I can say and do whatever I want in the name of being a Bears fan. Plus I am drunk!" I think people's real personalities shine through in the moment where they realize, [Hey, there's an opposing fan. I can say something mean, unintelligent, and completely unfunny and at least a few of the like-minded idiots around me will laugh] "Hey. You and Donovan McNabb's mothers are lesbian prostitutes!" [Somebody give me a high five! Okay, I'll accept a reluctant fist bump.]

No comments: