Thursday, September 11, 2008

One of our assignments for the mental health rotation is to attend an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. Tonight I went to an open meeting in my neighborhood.

I didn't really know much about A.A. aside from what I had seen on TV, which in general is a fairly accurate portrayal, except for real people aren't as well spoken as actors and it isn't quite as dramatic. It was touching being there with people who share a common goal, using their collective experiences to help and support each other.

Another assignment involves going to a different 12 Step meeting. I will probably go to Gamblers Anonymous considering my occasional flirtation with out of control gambling. Or there's one for people who are really disorganized. And one for overeaters. Maybe I should go to all of them.

No comments: