Friday, January 25, 2008

I have lived in Chicago for six years, but have never been a CTA commuter until now. As a student, I get this U-Pass card that gives me unlimited transportation for a nominal fee of $95/semester. I am determined to milk it for all it's worth.

For some reason, I used to have a romanticized view of taking the CTA everyday. I imagined my friends riding the rails, listening to their music and reading their interesting novels. I kind of looked forward to this lifestyle change. Now I realize what a fool I was.
By the time I catch the purple line at Howard, the train is so packed with Evanston commuters that seats can be hard to come by. Reading is all but impossible, as I spend most of my time trying to find stable footing as the express train lurches toward the Loop. By the time I get to where I'm going, I have motion sickness and want to punch Mr. Trenchcoat, who has been talking loudly on his phone and demanding more space than he deserves, in the mouth.

The afternoon commute is a little better, and the Red Line street musicians definitely lift my spirits before the long journey north. A double shot of "One Love" and "Is This Love" from a steel drum can do wonders for a weary traveler.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can use the extra time on your CTA commute to contemplate the horrible trade you made in fantasy hoops earlier today.

Meador said...

I thought everyone in Evanston had a driver.

Anonymous said...

try and switch to the Metra. I did and it's a hell of a lot better. I bike one mi to the Ravenswood stop, always get a seat and get downtown lickity-split.