Thursday, January 24, 2008

Today is the coldest I ever remember being. I might as well have been naked on my way to the train for all the good my jacket, hat, and gloves did. And I know people are tired of being cold, and tired of talking about the cold, and wondering when it won't be so cold, so I apologize.

Even the pigeons, normally gregarious scavengers, were huddled together under the CTA heat lamps trying to survive. Aside from the Lincoln Square Pigeon Man (RIP), I have never seen them trust humans to be so close to them. They were willing to sacrifice a bit of their personal space and comfort in the fight to stay alive.

I know I'm in the minority, but I think pigeons are hilarious and awesome. If they were a little more discreet with their droppings, I don't think anyone would have a problem with them. Last night Trupe told me about this pigeon book, which I plan on reading immediately.

8 comments:

nbaer said...

Meador, at one point in your schooling would you feel confident nursing a pigeon back to complete health? 6 months? A year?

Meador said...

I already run a pigeon outpatient clinic out of my basement.

nbaer said...

Yikes. Does your condo association know about this?

Lacy said...

Sadly, I was hoping for/expecting that link to lead to "Don't Let The Pigeon Drive the Bus," a thoroughly delightful read which I highly recommend.

nbaer said...

"Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog" is my daughter's favorite in the pigeon series. They're all awesome, though.

Anonymous said...

http://www.buy.com/prod/don-t-let-the-pigeon-drive-the-bus/q/loc/106/31104860.html

well, you've both beat me to it! but i'll reiterate that mo william's books on the pigeon will far surpass any other pigeon books on the market. (and it's a vicious, competetive market)

Anonymous said...

last year i blogged this: looking out the window at the opposite platform, i see about 15-20 pigeons puffed up and sitting together under the heat lamps. there are people on the platform, but no one is under the shelter with the birds. while i'm sitting there, the heat lamps turn off. the pigeons start shaking and ruffling their feathers and causing a fuss amongst themselves, when the guy standing just to the right of the shelter reaches over, pushes the button for the heat lamps, puts his hands back in his coat pockets, and the birds relax. i thought it was nice

Anonymous said...

now its june. we've come a long way ;-) I don't even feel like i'm in school. cheers to us!!