Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Today Jackie had a patient that went into respiratory distress because of an air embolism that had travelled to his lungs. He was extremely lucky that she was in the room with him, as he would have probably died. She hit the button on the wall that signalled the rapid response team, and they stabilized him and brought him to the ICU.

When I first started this, I was tentative, almost apologetic to patients for saddling them with a student nurse. I quickly changed my tune after I realized how lucky they are to have us, how much more attention and quality care they get when we are there. I may not have saved a life today, but my patient was fortunate I was around to get him syrup for his french toast; he certainly seemed to think it was a matter of life or death,

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I'm far too smiley in this picture for the situation you are describing. Too bad you didn't get a pic of me shaking and looking shell-shocked right after it happened.