Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Today was the first day at Mt. Sinai. I have been out of the hospital for almost two months; it was intimidating going back, wondering if I had forgotten everything I learned.

My first patient was the best I could have had on the first day. He was a very nice elderly man who had a couple tumors removed from his neck. I got to accompany him to the ENT clinic, where the doctor removed his trachostomy tube; it had been in for 7 months. Before that, he could talk only when he put his finger over the trach tube. He was very happy after getting it out, because he could speak without effort. He spent the rest of the day cruising the floor flirting with all the nurses.

After the first couple hours I got my hospital legs back, and did a pretty good job. By next May I hope to be able to walk into a patient's room and proclaim, "Behold, I will heal thee." Or at least, "Hey, there's a better than 90% chance I won't kill thee."

No comments: