Saturday, February 9, 2008


Proctored the ACT test at Holy Trinity High School to make a little extra cash. My friend Kellina is nice enough to let me help out every now and then. I haven't been around high schoolers for a while, and it made me miss my old students. A lot.

Went to a fly fishing expo in Schaumburg. I started fishing this summer, and it's great. A nice gentleman from Wheaton helped me tie my first fly. I had way more fun doing this than is reasonable.

Got a flat tire on the way to dinner with my family. It put me in a foul mood, but I was efficient like a Daytona pit crew. I changed the tire in 9 minutes, not quite as fast as during the Champaign Keg Emergency of '99, but still a respectable time.

By the time I got to Wildfire*, I was cursing the suburbs. I sometimes feel bad for the oft-maligned burbs, but then I go there and all sympathy ceases. I feel more claustrophobic in the suburbs than I ever do in the city. I quickly calmed down in the presence of my wonderful family, and we had a nice meal. I wish I could spend more time with them.

*Slightly overrated, but decent food and service. I'm not sure how a restaurant can be called a proper steakhouse if a soup or salad is not included with the meal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I'm not sure how a restaurant can be called a proper steakhouse if a soup or salad is not included with the meal."

Sweet Jesus, Meador, you are a hillbilly.*

*Despite this fact, you are correct that Wildfire does suck.

Meador said...

You've been to Art and Alma's, Hansen. You know the kind of treatment I have come to expect.