Tuesday, February 12, 2008

This week is busy. Last week's snow day gave us two extra tests in addition to the three already scheduled. After two tests today, I was able to get together with my old roommates Nick, Bill, and Trupe at Twin Anchors. We try to get ribs at least once a year. I wish it was weekly.

After skills practice today, Jackie and I were studying for Thursday's Pathophysiology/Pharmacology test in the Student Center when a man came in and started yelling at everyone on his way through. He was saying something about us wasting our time on education, then something about Vietnam and 25 inches of snow. I foolishly made eye contact with him as he passed, which prompted the following exchange:

Crazy: ...and that's the way it is, Fatman.
Me: Are you talking to me?
Crazy: (as he disappeared around the corner) No, I'm talking to the wall.

Definitely one of those moments where you want to call a do-over and say something or do something better. "Are you talking to me?" Whatever. I think what bothered me the most was how much this random unstable person was able to hurt my feelings. Fatman needs thicker skin or he won't last long in this profession. (Fatman should probably lay off the ribs, too.)

As a nurse, I'm probably not supposed to call someone crazy.
Nursing Diagnosis: Ineffective coping.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen that man in the union frequently. He is always verbally abusing harmless students. For example, every afternoon in the Subway lounge, there is a crafternoon. A few young students sit around and make dream catchers or something. Last week, he walked by and then cornered a harmless freshman and asked about the oregon of the dream catcher. I thought the young girl would cry....
Yea, as a nurse you'll have to deal with unstable people who say offensive things. You however may grow to appreciate the humor in the boldness of statements made by people who have rejected or can understand the chronically normal world.

sorry your feelings were hurt!
Christina

Anonymous said...

people who can't understand the chronically normal world....

Anonymous said...

origin of dream catchers...