Friday, February 1, 2008

Today after class, Reny showed a few of us how to navigate the tunnel system that runs beneath some of the buildings. Reny did her undergrad here and works in the College of Pharmacy, so she knows some secrets. Definitely handy on cold or rainy days, or when one wants a little adventure. There are weird rooms with radiation warnings, and even a lock-up area where people (criminal patients?) are kept. I'm glad they have an angled mirror for the long hallway so that you can make sure a deranged murderer or a pediatric manikin isn't charging at you with a knife.

I had always heard about tunnels running underneath Champaign-Urbana, but this was either a rumor, or nobody bothered to show me. Thanks, Reny.

4 comments:

Hank said...

There were underground tunnels connecting the two sets of three closely-clumped buildings in the six-pack. Pretty boring, though -- I only once had to desperately fight off a man-panther hybrid that had broken free of the sinister genetics lab down there.

Also, my second day there I managed to slam my finger in one of the doors, so my first three months at college were spent with a repulsive blue fingernail.

Tamalehawk said...

Tamalehawk befriended a manther once on the Engineering Quad in the dead middle of the night. Their eyes locked, encircling a stray strip of gyro meat that glistened in the dark, and with an unspoken mutual respect, dined as brothers.

Anonymous said...

true story: crazy mike ripped down an exit sign in one of those tunnels one night (i think it was on my birthday freshman year). He was banished from the six-pack and had to live at the Florida Avenue Resident Towers (FART). poor crazy mike.

Anonymous said...

Enjoying the blog. Feels like neither one of us ever left Northtown.