Wednesday, February 6, 2008

We did not have class today due to the prediction of winter nastiness. It was great to have a snow day, but I felt bad because the storm didn't pan out to be as bad as it was supposed to be. To assuage my guilt, I got ahead on some schoolwork.

We have a series of videos on CD-ROM that supplement our reading assignments. They are really nerdy, with an overly dramatic soundtrack and a mildly hypnotic narrator. But they are also pretty helpful in allowing us to visualize the procedures we will be doing.

The first time I watched them, I assumed they wouldn't show much. Then all of a sudden a penis was being washed, and the reality of my new career set in. The patients in the videos do not seem like real patients, but they almost have to be, based on the horrible procedures they have done to them. And I wonder if they got paid on a sliding scale based on how invasive/awful the procedures are. Like maybe Unconscious Tooth Brush Guy got $50, Penis Wash Guy $150, and NG Tube Guy $275. I hope Urinary Catheter Woman got paid a shit ton.

6 comments:

the limit said...

I love watching you learn...its so damn exciting

blob bladewig said...

so "Penis Wash" is a medical procedure?

Young said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Young said...

Part of your training as a nurse will be to star in one of these videos. But don't fret, you get a choice. You can be "Bullet Wound Victim" or "Pre-Surgery Shaved Crotch Guy #2"

Proxy said...

"so "penis Wash" is a medical procedure?"


OMG I've going to be arrested for malpractice. Sexy, sexy malpractice.

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't the penis wash guy actually be the one paying for that procedure?